You have five choices for camping in and around Lake Powell on the southern or downlake end of Glen Canyon National Recreation Area.
- Starting with the most primitive and basic you may camp in the back country. You must be at least 100 feet from a paved road and outside of alcoves and archaeological sites. You may not camp in roadside pullouts, picnic areas or on posted beaches near developed areas. You may hike in or drive. Many roads require 4-wheel drive vehicles. You may not mountain bike except on vehicle roadways, no off-road travel. In roadless areas you may hike in and primitive camp. No bicycles or off road vehicles permitted. Tip: If you will be overnight hiking in the Escalante Canyon Area it is recommended that you obtain a free permit at the Escalante Visitor Center. 435-826-5499 Always sign in at the trailheads.
- You may camp anywhere along the shores of Lake Powell except in developed marinas. The majority of Lake Powell is accessible only by boat. You must have a portable toilet unless toilets are available on your vessel or are within 200 yards of your campsite. It is recommended that you anchor on a beach for the night as high winds can move boats into rocks. Do not camp under rocky overhangs as rain can cause rock slides and down pouring rain can sink a vessel.
- You may camp at Lone Rock Beach. For more information visit our Lone Rock Beach at Lake Powell blog entry.
- You may camp at the Wahweap RV/Campground located 5 miles from the Glen Canyon Dam or 8 miles from the city of Page Arizona. This is a developed campground at Wahweap Marina managed by the concessioner Aramark. There are 139 full hook-ups situated in several camping loops. You may walk to the lake shore from the campground. There are also 112 tent or non hook-up sites. Your Golden Age/Access card will apply in this area only for 50% discount on camping. Reservations can be made by phone. Toll Free: 800-528-6154 Outside U.S.: 602-278-8888 Wahweap Office: 928-645-1059
- The Page Lake Powell Campground. This is an in town campground and does not have a lake view. It does have full hook-ups with cable or without as well as electric and water sites only or tent sites with no hook-ups. They offer full amenities including an indoor heated pool. Some sites have shade and there is ample parking space for extra vehicles or boats.